Monday, November 1, 2010

Sinful Tendencies



A personality is an organized pattern of behavioral characteristics and it is the total physical, mental, emotional, and social characteristics of an individual. These characteristics influence peoples’ cognitions, motivations, and behaviors in various situations. It is these characteristics that define us as people, but how do they define us as Christians?
God placed within each of us different personality traits and gifts. To some, he gave the ability to speak and teach, but to some, he gave the gift of writing or singing. Most people believe that God blessed everyone with at least one spiritual gift that we could use to glorify him.
         So my question is, if God places spiritual gifts within us, does he also place sinful tendencies? As far as personality, some people are passive and some are aggressive. Some people are intellectual and some are engineered for sports. Likewise, some people are born with certain traits that are reared toward anger or alcoholism. I am, unfortunately, one of those people who is quick to anger, which causes me to sin (especially if I’m watching sports).  Alcoholism has been proven to be genetic, which can cause an individual to stumble simply because of genetic make up.
What is my point in all of this? I am simply implying that God places within us sinful tendencies like anger and lust, however, it is our choice whether or not to act on these impulses. I have a short temper, but if I strive to stay calm in certain situations, then I can control my anger.
         We must overcome obstacles every single day, and luckily there are people who are willing to help others. I watch the show Intervention, and every time I do I think to myself:
“Wow, those people are sick and need help.” They chose to act on their sinful tendencies and are leading lives that they need help out of. We as christians are obligated to do just that.
I have just one last question. Why is it that we as Christians are so willing to help the alcoholic, the prostitute, and the drug addict, but we look down so shamefully on Homosexuals? They might live a sinful lifestyle, but so do gamblers. If someone is gay, and they are born with this sinful tendency, why don’t we try to help them overcome their struggle? I can’t even control a small anger problem to prove to my God that I can conquer the trials placed before me; imagine if I could conquer homosexuality; think how strong of a Christian I would be.

4 comments:

  1. Again, I am very proud of you Amber. Keep on questioning, struggling, being certain and doubtful, passionate and weary. It is all part of a grand journey on a search for truth.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sin is the transgression of the law (I John 3:4), or going against God's will (Romans 13:2). If God places lust and anger in our hearts, then would it not follow that he approves of these things? How could they then be sin? God created Adam and Eve with pure hearts, not even knowing of sin, but through the free will given to them by God chose to allow sin into their lives. It is the same with all men – the natural tendencies and emotions that are part of being human are pure and good in their intended use, it is when these feelings are abused and twisted that they become evil. For example, is anger a sinful emotion? Exodus 4:14 says that God was angry with Moses (and with many other people and nations throughout the Bible), and Moses was angry with Eleazar and Ithamar when they violated God's will in Leviticus 10:16. Ephesians 4:26 does not tell us we should never be angry, but rather says “Be ye angry, and sin not” - in other words, do not let your emotions blind you and cause you to sin. Christians should not be “angry people,” but should not be emotionless automatons either: there are things in this life that should cause an emotional reaction if we have a true passion for God and his will, and there are things in this life that we should have the maturity and spiritual mindset to recognize as being unworthy of causing an outburst or fretting over. In the same way, the natural attraction a man has for a woman or vice versa is not sinful in and of itself, God created us that way, but when fed and twisted by a mind not focused on heavenly things it becomes lust, which is sinful and vile. Christ tells us in Matthew 5:28 “That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.” The person here, instead of fleeing youthful lusts like II Timothy 2:22 commands, has looked upon a woman specifically to entertain his sinful desires. The perversions of what God has naturally given us are certainly sin, but I think it's casts a poor light on God to say that he has placed those sinful things in our heart instead of us creating them ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,
    I really appreciate your response. I'm glad you took the time to analyze my thoughts and offer a reply. I do agree with your statement that some anger is bad and some anger is good, however, I think that when God placed within us free will, he also allowed us more lee way for sin. I believe that God wants us more than anything to want to love him and worship him which is why he gave us free will in the first place. He places struggles in our life and constantly tests us. One of my favorite sayings is "If God brings you to it, He can get you through it."
    This is why I believe certain people are driven toward certain sins. If none of us were born with sinful tendencies, then we would never have to overcome strife, therefore, we would not need faith. If God wanted us to never sin against Him, then why would he ever place sin in our paths? I also think that when Adam and Eve took from the forbidden fruit, a whole new window was opened as far as sin and sinful impulses are concerned.
    I do hope this slightly elaborates further on my point.
    And once again, you comments are very much appreciated and acknowledged.
    Thank you and God Bless !!

    ReplyDelete